Monday, June 14, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over

I don't know if the word "obsession" really covers it. It only happens every four years, so the build up grows and grows in intensity until it reaches its boiling point. Then, I enter my happy place and everything in the world is wonderful for a fortnight. Now I know you're probably thinking, "This man loves the Winter Olympics." Well, you're wrong. As much as I appreciate watching the Canadian Women's Curling team in action, I could care less about the Winter Olympiad. For that matter, I don't care that much for the summer version either. The quadrennial event I am speaking of is, of course, the FIFA World Cup. The one sporting event in the world that throws my entire world into complete upheaval. I don't even get this geeked up about March Madness (please don't tell Frank Martin that, as I am afraid he will jab me in the throat).

For the record, my wife does not understand my obsession with the World Cup, even having been through it on two previous occasions. She didn't understand why I was completely LIVID in 2202 when I woke early to catch the final live from Japan/South Korea only to find a church program on instead. By the time the local ABC affiliate played the final match "live" at 2:00 PM, I already knew the score. I have maintained a fairly consistent boycott of that channel for the past eight years. But you have to forgive her for not understanding this obsession of mine, because my friends don't really understand it either. Nor do my co-workers. I'd even hazard a guess that my own family doesn't even understand how obsessed I get with World Cup. My mother will tell you she understands, but she doesn't realize that it goes much farther than repeated watchings of "Gole`" and a Walter Zenga poster on my bedroom door during high school. In order to help you understand why I spend approximately 9 hours a day watching soccer during a World Cup year, let me present to you, the reasons I love World Cup 2010.

The Announcers
I rarely say nice things about the Worldwide Leader, but ESPN scored a coup when it went out a hired some of the best soccer play-by-play and color guys from England to work the Cup. Not only are they knowledgeable about the game, but they are much more entertaining than the Americans they've used in the past two cups (sorry JP Dellacamera, not sorry to you Eric Wynalda). Americans saying things like "it's nil-nil here in Rustenberg" or "he's just looking forward to lacing up the boots and getting back on the pitch" just doesn't sound very cool. My personal favorite so far has been, "That was a very tricky run, but he just ran into a cul-de-sac there." I also like that British announcers, much like Simon Cowell, are brutally honest. I like when they say things like, "That was an absolutely dreadful shot." I also like that ESPN has gone out and gotten some good studio people as well. Former World Cup participants Alexi Lalas (USA), Steve McManaman (ENG), and Ruud Gulitt (he's Dutch) have had some good insight and seem comfortable in front of the camera. However, they're not above being themselves -- witness McManaman after the England/USA tie, "If Slovenia or Algeria can get a win tomorrow they'll have the group by the ba...the bollo....the..the bull by the horns." Good work, Steve!

Gratuitous David Beckham Shots
Even though the world's most recognizable player is out of action due to a a torn Achilles tendon, that doesn't mean he isn't getting his face time on camera. He was shown on the England bench at least a half dozen times during the England/USA match. I also like that the announcers feel the need to point him out and gush over him, "There's David Beckham. Injured, but still with the team in spirit." I seriously kept waiting to hear one of them say, "There's David Beckham on the England bench. He's looking concerned at the moment. And absolutely gorgeous."

The Nicknames
When it comes to international play in anything, teams don't get teams names. Your team name is "USA" or "Germany" or "Denmark." None of these really has the oomph of say, the Yankees, or Celtics, or the Patriots. But soccer-dom has it's own brand of nicknames. Some of them are simple and based on a country's flag or jersey, like "Los TriColores" (Mexico), "Il Azzuri" (Italy) or "Les Bleus" (France). Some are inspired by their national team's style of play, like The Netherlands, who have for decades been known as "Clockwork Orange" for their precise style of play. Brazil, five time cup winners, are called "Selecao," the Selection. Spain has long been nicknamed "The Best Team To Never Win the World Cup," but at least they're the favorites going into this year. Which means they'll fail. African countries have the best names -- The Indomitable Lions (Cameroon), The Super Eagles (Nigeria), Les Elephants (Ivory Coast), The Black Stars (Ghana), The Desert Foxes/Les Fennecs (Algeria) and Bafana Bafana (host nation South Africa). I draw the line at "Socceroos" (Australia) because it's just silly. Come on, how can you not cheer for a team that calls themselves The Indomitable Lions. Or the Super Eagles for that matter. Even Bafana Bafana is fun to say. Sure beats the hell out of Jayhawks.

Ties
While the rest of the sporting world sees ties as a bad thing, in the group play stage of the World Cup, they occur. And they occur quite frequently, much to the chagrin of the American watching. I don't mind ties. Sometimes ties can be good, and everyone's a winner. Slovakia and New Zealand tie 1-1, most people say it's stupid and boring. The underlying story, however is that both teams score a historic point in the standings. Slovakia scores its first goal and point in its first Cup as an independent country. New Zealand scores its first goal and point ever in the World Cup in its first trip back since 1982. Sometimes ties are bad, as they show us that maybe some teams aren't as good as people think they are -- I'm looking at you France and Uruguay (and your 0-0 tie).

Germany Good
Whenever there's a big international soccer tournament of some note, the six other people in my life who follow soccer will always ask, "Who do you think is going to win?" My usual response is "Germany." Why shouldn't it be? '86 Cup runners up, '90 Cup winners, '98 Cup Semi finals, '02 Cup runners up, '06 semi finals. After beating the aforementioned Socceroos 4-0 to open their tournament, Germany looks good. I am picking them to win it, and Spain retains their unfortunate nickname.

Italy Bad
To open their defense of the World Cup, the 2006 Champions, Il Azzuri, looked like Il Crapola. They needed a gift from a goalkeeping gaffe to earn a tie with Paraguay. To use an English commentators term, Italy played "uninspired" for most of the game. I am looking for them to fall on their face sometime this cup. And the problem is that I used to like the Azzuri. Seriously. But lately, I've noticed that the more I watch Italy, the less I like them. They seem to be a team that thrives on diving, whining about perceived fouls, and cheap shots. You need look no further than a slow-mo replay of a free kick where an Italian striker jumps with a Paraguayan defender and reaches back and takes a swing at him in mid-air to see why I dislike the Azzuri. Playing tough is one thing, but playing dirty is another.

Diego Maradona is Back
And that means I can rekindle my intense dislike for him. I can't stand Diego Maradona. All I will say on this matter is that my ideal World Cup would involve Argentina failing to make the knock out round, and Maradona getting a ball kicked in his face. I haven't forgotten 1986 Diego.

I Am Off Work
I don't have to go back to work until the day after the World Cup Final on Juy 11th. Assuming Baby Allie holds out until later that week, I will have plenty of time to shirk my responsibilities and watch soccer. My wife sees this as a bad thing, I see it as GLORIOUS!

Now, that is pretty much all my thoughts on why I love World Cup soccer. I could write an entire blog about the awful goalkeeping we've seen so far this Cup, but it wouldn't make sense to the three people who regularly read my blog. For now, I will sign off, because in just 6 short hours Honduras vs. Chile will be on. . . and who wants to miss that!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment